Fentanyl test strips
People who are planning to take drugs can use fentanyl test strips to check if the drugs contain fentanyl.
What Are Fentanyl Test Strips?
A fentanyl test strip is a small piece of paper that is sensitive to certain chemicals. The test strip reacts if a drug contains fentanyl — but it doesn't show how much is there.
Fentanyl test strips help to reduce the risk of an overdose. They are fast, easy to use, and cost about $1.
Important! Fentanyl test strips are only legal in certain states. Use this state-by-state guide to check if they are legal in your state.
How to Use Fentanyl Test Strips
- Mix the drugs with water. For pills, crush them first.
- Place the wavy end of the test strip in the water and wait 15 seconds.
- Set the test strip on a flat surface and wait for results to appear. It typically takes 2 to 5 minutes.
Where to Get Fentanyl Test Strips
Some community organizations offer test strips for free. You can also order them online. Before buying them, check if they are legal in your state.
test strip tips
- Fentanyl clumps together. (Source: BTNX Inc.) It may not be mixed evenly in a drug. Testing half of a pill isn't enough, because the other half could still contain fentanyl. This is why it’s important to dissolve the pill in water first.
- Fake pills and powdered drugs aren’t regulated. Testing one pill doesn't mean other pills from the same batch are safe.
- A negative result does not necessarily mean that fentanyl is not present or that there is no risk. Test strips are not guaranteed to detect all forms of fentanyl.
- Fentanyl test strips are 96 - 100% accurate. (Source: ScienceDirect)
- A test strip can only be used once.